Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Bruce Lee and my husband

As I was doing my usual blog search, I ran across some martial arts site that described the 5 most dangerous kicks. From there, i was lead to some YouTube videos, to the Human Weapon internet site from the History Channel, and eventually to a biography of Bruce Lee. Bruce Lee was a very talented martial artist who incorporated his thoughts about existence and athleticism into his fighting methods. He did tie in one martial art, but he took what he knew worked from different arts and created his own. How does this relate to my husband?

Before Jesse and I were dating seriously we had two relationships: our romantic one and our Taekwondo one. Jesse has always been and always will be much more proficient in the art of Taekwondo than me. So when it came to his teaching Taekwondo, we left our romantic relationship off of the floor as much as we could. With most relationships, the line would be erased and teacher/student relationship would be negatively affected from there on out. However, unlike most martial artists, Jesse has a deep respect for TaeKwonDo and therefore his role as a teacher. Because of our relationship, I got to enjoy some extra one-on-one instruction from Jesse. This is where my husband reminds me of the late Mr. Lee.

There were times that I remember, he would say certain phrases about his martial art theories such as, "I don't mind to get hit, as long as they don't forget how hard I hit them" or "I don't care if I lose to a White belt in practice. I am not here to prove myself to anyone but to improve on myself. I care if I lose in a tournament." or "There is no such thing as 'You will bow to me because I am your Master' but I will bow to you out of respect and you should do the same for me" or "I can't motivate you to get your black belt. In TaeKwonDo, the motivation comes from you."

Even though these comments at times frustrated me when my motivation level was low, I, eventually, learned where they came from and why he said them. TaeKwonDo helped create the man Jesse is now. Jesse doesn't just practice TaeKwonDo. He lives it. Now, that might sound a bit cheesy (I am known to talk that way at times) but as Jesse's closest pupil I can say that its true. He learned the athletic part from his previous coach. The spirit, discipline, and way of life part, he got from Somewhere else.

Maybe there won't be a "Return of the Kuhns Dragon" or "Enter the Kuhns Dragon" DVD set. But I know that Jesse will do for TaeKwonDo what TaeKwonDo has done for him. Jesse will be that coach that all the students will stop talking and listen when he speaks. They won't talk back to him, not out of fear, but out of true respect.

In other words, my husband rocks! :)


BTW...my interview went well....still waiting on interview #2. :) Blair, we will get together before we leave, I promise :) Your baby pics are so cute!!!

1 comment:

veronica said...

so beautiful to see a woman who loves, admires and respects her husband so much...Jesse's a lucky guy!...but then again, apparently you are a lucky gal;)..love you and miss you guys!