Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Wednesday, August 8, 2007

A decision well made

For a long time, I felt a lot of guilt because I was pursuing a post-bacclaurate degree. I felt like that as a wife and future mother, my role was to stay at home and attend to my "obligations" as such. Every morning, when I would go to work or school, I asked myself if I was "wrong" in my steps. I didn't know whether the reasons I had for continuing my education were selfish or motivated for the wrong reasons. Would I be a bad mother if I continued? Did it mean I didn't love my family enough? Day in and day out I had all these questions and I ventured off to ask many people for their advice from priests, friends, advisors, and family. Although everyone's advice was quite appreciated, no ones answer filled my doubts. I was a modern Catholic girl in a Modern Liberal world. Well, I read a post by Katie Rose that led me to learn about St. Gianna, a wife, mother and doctor (and now saint!!) I realized that I may be answering a call from above that is a bit different. Maybe I could be a wife, mother, and psychologist. Over the last two months, I felt my 5 years of praying beng answered. My dear Mother from Above & Her Son have blessed me with an inner peace for which I longed. I no longer feel guilty. I no longer feel less because of my decision to pursue this career. I know I was placed on this earth to be a Wife, future Mother, and a child psychologist. No longer will I only have children that bear our last name, but I will have hundreds (if not thousands) of young minds in my care as well. What a feeling! What responsibility!

2 comments:

veronica said...

:)..AND..St. Gianna praying for you and guiding you!!!

Katie Rose said...

Great post! I spoke on the phone last week with a lovely sister, Sr. Teresa Benedicta, from the Dominicans of Mary Mother of the Eucharist about this very topic. She said that, while it is improper to focus on one's work to the detriment of marriage and family, it is also inappropriate to focus on one's vocation to marriage to the detriment of one's formation. She reminded me of the example of St. Gianna, as well as beloved Pope John Paul II's call to women (Mulieris Dignitatem) to evangelize society with their feminine gifts. Sr. Teresa Benedicta noted that it's difficult to balance marriage/family and other ministry but assured me that Jesus will guide Devin and me and encouraged us to "pray our way through it."

One thing that's so inspiring to me about the example of St. Gianna is that she was open to children. Right now Devin and I are discerning graduate studies for me, and because we are convinced that nothing will bring us more fulfillment than a family, we are remaining open to life; if we're given the gift of a child, God will show us how to balance family life and my (possible) call to academic life. It requires much trust, and I'm asking St. Gianna to pray for us. :)